The Donald P. Sutherland Elementary School Halloween Parade will be held on Wednesday, October 31 at 2 p.m. To ensure our Halloween celebration is a safe and happy one, please adhere to the following:
- Support our efforts to celebrate Halloween with non-violent costumes. Students will not be allowed to carry swords, axes, guns, or other toy weapons. Masks that block a student’s view or display blood or other frightening images are strongly discouraged.
- Consider costumes that reflect our Character Education theme of Respect. Choose costumes depicting heroes, athletes, doctors, nurses, teachers, astronauts, truck drivers, or other professions. Other great choices include book characters, music/movie stars and so on. Use your imagination!
- Do not have your child wear their costume to school. It should be brought to school in a bag labeled with their name.
- If your child’s costume requires makeup application or extra help getting on, the parent volunteer assigned to your child’s classroom will assist.
- Make sure your child dresses for the weather and wears safe and comfortable footwear for walking outside.
- Ensure the costume is the proper length. A costume that is too long could cause the child to trip during the parade.
- Classroom volunteers should arrive at 1:45 PM unless other arrangements have been made by the classroom teacher. Only those adults who were requested to help out in a classroom will be allowed inside the school. All other guests will have the opportunity to enjoy the parade along the route.
- All approved volunteers must sign in at the main office and provide appropriate identification to be processed through our Raptor security program.
- Parents, guardians and friends coming to watch the parade should remain outside on the parade route. We strongly encourage you to not wear scary masks or paint your faces in a manner that may frighten a child.
- Parents should leave school grounds by 3:00 PM to allow for school buses to arrive and depart safely.
- To reduce confusion at dismissal, unless there are extenuating circumstances, please have your child follow regular dismissal procedures.
If the weather doesn’t cooperate, we have the parade around the parking lot. If the weather is a complete washout, we will unfortunately have to cancel the parade; but we will provide our students with the opportunity to view everyone’s costumes. Let’s hope for a sunny day! Please check our website for updates.