Columbia High School students learned all about college from some familiar faces on Thursday as 20 graduates from the Class of 2018 returned to share advice as part of Alumni Day.
The alumni, who attend colleges such as Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Purdue University and the University of Pennsylvania, discussed the college selection process, academic programs, residence halls and adjusting to a new schedule and lifestyle.
“Alumni Day was a great experience and opportunity for both students and teachers alike who attended,” said Nick Gabriel ’20. “The returning graduates talked of their endeavors and their own time on campus, while giving their own individual college experiences, through stories, wisdom and advice. The information these alumni provided was useful and fun, and sits as a useful tool for all students on their journey to college and beyond.”
This annual event is sponsored by the Guidance Department.
“Having scheduled the Columbia High Alumni Day event for the last twenty years, I can never underestimate its importance,” said Columbia School Counselor John Evertsen. “Students hearing firsthand from peers about their collegiate experiences and sharing their insights is both informative and educational. Never underestimate the ‘power of the personal narrative.’ That sense of connection with the audience and the relationship they have with their friends is impressive. Our graduates enjoy returning and our current students and teachers appreciate this tremendous opportunity to see their former students.”
Thank you to our alumni for joining us!
- Gabriella Broga – Clarkson University
- Maddie Burns – Hofstra University
- Bailey Campbell – Stony Brook University
- Morgan Childs – Purdue University
- Kyleigh Chriss – Univeristy of Sciences in Philadelphia
- Victoria Hamilton – Marist College
- Lillian Hutton – University of Rochester
- Morgan Jones – University of Pennsylvania
- Lauren Kelly – SUNY ESF
- Matthew LaHera – University of Rhode Island
- Emily Mann – Nazareth College
- Olivia Massey – Western New England College
- Connor Roizman – RPI
- Bryan Serian – RIT
- Jonathan Sills – Hamilton College
- Renee Smith – University of Tampa
- Rachel Smith – Binghamton University
- Madison Washock – Stony Brook University
- Daniel Watson – Virginia Commonwealth Univiversity
- Bryel Weinlein – College of St. Rose