Bell Top Elementary is a small community school that serves families from Defreestville, North Greenbush, Troy and Wynantskill. The original Bell Top School was built in 1866 as a one-room schoolhouse. In 1940 the East Greenbush Central School District held its grand opening for the building we now know as Bell Top. The historic bell, a well-known landmark, is located in the front of the school and was once used to summon children to the one-room schoolhouse.
Bell Top is a Reward School based on its high academic achievement, according to the NYS Education Department.
Principal Martin Mahar
39 Reynolds Road
Troy, NY 12180
Office Hours: 8:00 am – 4:00 pm
School Hours: 9:00 am – 3:30 pm
Early Dismissal: 11:35 am
- To promote the dignity and worth of every child
- To develop the communication skills of reading, writing, listening, speaking, and observing in every child to the fullest extent possible
- To promote high expectations for the success of all students
- To develop each child¹s ability to think critically
- To provide each child with the opportunity to develop her or his creative talents
- To assist each child in developing interpersonal skills, which shall include leadership, cooperative working, problem solving, and decision making
- To promote use of the most effective instructional techniques in each classroom and program