TAKE ACTION RESOURCES
In response to public comments at the World Café forum, the East Greenbush Central School District is providing information to community members who would like to contact elected officials about the impact state legislation is having on public schools.
Resources for Issues Facing EGCSD and other NYS Schools:
- Campaign for Fiscal Equity Report on Essential Resources for a Sound Basic Education - Posted February 19, 2013
- Video Shown at January 31 Forum produced by Capital Region BOCES - Posted February 19, 2013
- Annual State Reporting Requirements - Posted February 19, 2013
- "A Call to Action" Advocacy Toolkit - Posted February 12, 2013
- List of Elected Officials in the Capital Region - Posted February 12, 2013
- 2013 Legislative Platform: Be the Change for Kids by NYSSBA - Posted February 5, 2013
- Your Public Schools in Fiscal Peril: Running out of Time and Options presentation by Dr. Rick Timbs - Posted February 5, 2013
- Education Speaks
- Educate NY Now!
- NYSSBA Advocacy Website
- Statewide School Finance Consortium Website
Gap Elimination Adjustment (GEA):
- Click here to learn what the GEA is and what you can do to urge its elimination
- NYSCOSS Report: Governor's State Aid Proposal and GEA Impact on EGCSD - Posted February 19, 2013
- Times Union: Rate rise new worry Teacher retirement costs to jump 37 percent, state warns school districts - Posted February 14, 2013
- Optimal Option: SUNY's Personal Retirement Plan As a Model for Pension Reform - Special Report by the Empire Center - Posted February 5, 2013
- New York's Exploding Pension Cost - Special Report by the Empire Center - Posted February 5, 2013
- NYSED List of Mandate Relief Items
- Mandate Reform Information and Resources
- Let NY Work Agenda - a coalition seeking mandate relief
If You Want to Write a Personal Letter to Officials, Here Are Some Important Facts:
- East Greenbush CSD has cut its budget each of the past four years in response to state aid cuts. To see specific cuts click here.
- Unfunded mandates are driving up the cost of education. Click here for mandate reform information and resources.
- The following is an advocacy form letter for residents to use as a starting point for communicating with elected officials. The letter may be used as a template and customized by individual users to suit their needs. Fill in the required information, print and mail to your representatives. The letter can also be sent as an attachment via e-mail.
Contact information for elected officials who represent all or portions of the East Greenbush Central
School District is listed below:
NEW YORK STATE:
Governor Andrew M. Cuomo
NYS State Capitol Building
Albany, NY 12224
Governor’s Mandate Relief Redesign Team
Tasked with finding ways to reduce costs of mandated programs, identify ineffective and outdated mandates, and determine how school districts and local governments can have greater ability to control expenses.
What are the Mandates facing schools?
NYSED released a list of mandates that represent the greatest challenges to districts in terms of financial burden and required time/human capital. Read More...
Assemblyman Steven F. McLaughlin
Senator Kathleen Marchione
United States House of Representatives
61 Columbia Street, 4th Floor
Albany, NY 12210
Phone: (518) 465-0700
Fax: (518) 427-5107
Congressman Chris Gibson
2 Hudson St.
Phone: (518) 610-8133
United States Senate
Leo O’Brien Federal Office Building, Rm 420
Albany, NY 12207
Phone: (518) 431-4070
Fax: (518) 431-4076
Senator Kirsten Gillibrand
Leo W. O’Brien Federal Office Building,Rm 821
Albany, NY 12207
Phone: (518) 431-0120
Fax: (518) 431-0128