Schools Against Violence in Education (SAVE) Act
SAVE legislation was passed by the New York State Legislature in 2000 to address issues of school safety and violence prevention. The laws require school districts to develop district-wide and building-level school safety plans. The district has in place a comprehensive district safety plan and individual school building safety plans with procedures in place to maintain a secure learning environment.
Safety Measures at East Greenbush CSD
- All schools have a locked single point of entry through which employees and visitors enter
- All staff must wear photo ID badges while in school buildings
- All visitors must sign-in and put on a visitor sticker before entering school
- Security cameras monitor school entrances and surrounding areas
- A police officer from the East Greenbush Police Department serves as the School Resource Officer every day at Columbia High School. He may also report to other schools as needed.
- District-employed security personnel monitor Columbia High School during school days and in the evening and on weekends.
- All employees must be fingerprinted and pass a thorough background check before starting work in the District.
- Students must adhere to the District’s Code of Conduct, which contains information on the range of consequences that may be imposed if students misbehave. This information is reviewed with students each year during the opening weeks of school.
- Every school in the District engages in a comprehensive set of drills (fire, lockdown, lockout) to ensure that students, faculty and staff are prepared should an emergency occur. In addition, each November, every school in the District dismisses students 15 minutes early to test its Emergency Management Plan. The “Go Home Early Drill” tests the effectiveness of the transportation and communications systems in the event of an emergency.
- Safety training is provided annually during Superintendent’s Conference Days.
- 2016-17 District Safety Plan
- National School Safety and Security Services
- New York State Center for School Safety
- New York State Center for School Safety – DASA Fact Sheet
- New York State Center for School Safety – Helping Children in Times of Crisis
- SAVE Legislation
- SchoolMessenger Alerts
- Sex Offender Notification/Registry
- Quick Tip
- Annual Notifications
- Winter Weather Suggestions for students, staff and visitors