Goff’s Guidance and Counseling Center offers a host of services to students that aim to:
- encourage students to recognize and make the best use of their abilities.
- help students build self-confidence and self-esteem.
- support student decision-making and problem solving strategies.
- assist with transitions from elementary school to middle school and from middle school to high school.
In support of the district’s mission and goals, the Counseling Department’s mission is to advocate for students and provide equitable access to a comprehensive, developmentally age-appropriate school counseling program that is aligned with the New York State learning standards and national (ASCA) and state (NYSSCA) standards. Through our programs students will receive academic, career and personal/social counseling services that will help them meet the challenges of the 21st century.
As counselors of the EGCSD, we believe:
- All students are capable of learning, achieving and acquiring knowledge in different ways and at different rates.
- All students are valued as individuals and deserve the opportunity to achieve to the best of their ability.
- Students can overcome obstacles and have the potential to make appropriate decisions to lead healthy lives.
- Students benefit from a sense of belonging and deserve a safe and welcoming school environment.
- All students will benefit from a developmentally appropriate comprehensive school counseling program.
- Students and their parents, together with their school counselor, take an active role in monitoring the student’s educational progress.
And that counselors:
- Help students recognize their learning strengths, weaknesses and potential.
- Spend time on individual and group counseling, crisis intervention, prevention and responsive services.
- Address the academic, social/emotional and career needs of all students.
- Advocate, lead, coordinate, collaborate and educate students to achieve success.
- Coordinate activities and programs that support the EGCSD mission.
- Serve as liaisons between parents, teachers, the community and the school.
- Partner and consult with other educators, parents/guardians to facilitate a program that enables students to increase their skills to think critically, make wise choices and be productive members of society.
- Participate in ongoing programs and professional development that enhance their skills and knowledge.
Students will be prepared to be productive citizens who fulfill their potential and thus be enabled to achieve the post-secondary academic, career and personal/social goals they have set for themselves.