Teachers, principals and other staff returned to school Tuesday morning for the first of three days of meetings and professional development. Employees filled the Columbia High School auditorium where they were welcomed by Superintendent of Schools Jeff Simons.
“I love schools, the people within them and the people we serve,” he said. “You see regardless of our job title, every single one of us is important to the mission. That mission is to bring out the best, to find all that we can in our young people.
“It is my wish for you that each encounter you have with our students this year leads them along a path to greater happiness, greater belief in themselves and a sense of accomplishment for a job well done. It is my hope that your experiences with me, as your new leader will do the same for you.”
Employees also heard from the following before reporting to their respective buildings for faculty and department meetings:
- Board of Education President Shay Harrison
- Assistant Superintendents Michele Bowman and Lawrence Edson – District Policy Updates
- Safety Coordinator Jeff Tooker – Safety Plan
- Assistant Superintendent Dr. Lynne Pampel – Curriculum
- NYSSBA Deputy Executive Director and Legal Counsel Jay Worona – Current Affairs in NYS Education