East Greenbush Central School District has scheduled three community forums for this fall to discuss school start times and the impact potential changes would have on its stakeholders. At each of the meetings, information will be shared, including a proposal to adjust school start times, with the intent of gathering feedback.
For the past year, a School Start Time Committee has been studying the issue of Columbia’s start time and its impact on educational outcomes and district operations. Columbia’s start time of 7:10 a.m., which is the earliest in the Capital Region, was brought to the attention of district administrators as an issue by both parents and students. According to research, later school start times for adolescents may contribute to better physical and emotional health leading to improved academic outcomes for students.
The committee, which is comprised of students, teachers, staff, administrators, parents and Board of Education members, has met regularly to determine if scheduling changes would improve the general welfare of students and how those would impact the school community.
A survey was sent to three different groups last December – Columbia students, all district staff and K-12 parents – to obtain feedback on the potential for changing school start times at Columbia and how that could impact the middle school and elementary school levels, transportation, child care, after school activities and the school budget.
The district is seeking additional input at the three scheduled community forums, which would cover:
- Background – Why is the district considering changing school start times
- Summary of the School Start Time Committee’s Findings
- Presentation of Survey Results
- Facilitated Discussion Groups
Parents and staff are encouraged to attend the session designated for their level, however, based on availability, all sessions are open to anyone. Columbia High School students are invited to attend the high school session.
The goal of these community forums is to gather more feedback about this topic so that a summary of options can be presented to the Board of Education in December.
School Start Time Community Forums
|Tuesday, November 5||6:30-8:30 p.m.||Genet Elementary School Auditorium||Elementary Schools|
|Thursday, November 7||6:30-8:30 p.m.||Columbia High School Auditorium||High School|
|Thursday, November 14||6:30-8:30 p.m.||Goff Middle School Cafeteria||Middle School|
- School Start Time Survey Results – Presented to Board of Education on February 13, 2019
- School Start Time Committee Status Report – Presented to Board of Education on June 25, 2019
- Later Start Times for High Schoolers: Benefits, Challenges and Creative Solutions (CASDA)
- School Start Times for Adolescents (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Schools Around the US are Finally Pushing Back Their Start Times – And It’s Working (Business Insider)