The East Greenbush Central School District was notified today that a Columbia High School student has tested positive for COVID-19. We are conducting contact tracing in coordination with the Rensselaer County Health Department. Out of an abundance of caution, Columbia will be fully remote and switch to virtual learning for students and staff on Thursday, November 19 to allow for proper contact tracing and a deep cleaning of the building. An update will be sent to the school community tomorrow regarding the status of school for Friday.
Columbia will follow its Live Virtual Wednesday schedule for tomorrow. All students are expected to livestream into their scheduled classes in the same fashion of virtual Wednesdays.
- Period 1: 9:20 am to 9:51 am
- Period 2: 9:56 am to 10:27 am
- Period 3: 10:32 am to 11:02 am
- Period 4: 11:07 am to 11:38 am
- Period 5: 11:43 am to 12:14 pm
- Period 6: 12:19 pm to 12:49 pm
- Period 7: 12:54 pm to 1:25 pm
- Period 8: 1:30 pm to 2:00 pm
All other schools will open for in-person instruction on Thursday and follow their regular A Day schedule.
Parents and staff from Columbia are encouraged to offer their full cooperation if they are contacted by a representative of the county health department or school district. If you are not contacted there is no further action needed.
While we understand that you may want additional details, privacy laws restrict us from disclosing or confirming any personally identifiable information.
In the event that further developments occur or if additional information regarding this matter becomes available to our school district, the school community will be kept informed.
As the number of cases of COVID-19 increases in our country and New York State, the district would like to remind everyone to maintain the strong habits we are developing as a school community:
- Avoid large gatherings such as parties or unstructured situations which involve larger numbers of people coming into contact with each other.
- Wear masks at all times when out in public, particularly when you cannot socially distance or when participating in such activities as club sports.
- Wash hands with soap and water frequently and thoroughly. Use hand sanitizer when soap and water is not accessible.
- Monitor for COVID-19 symptoms and in the event someone is sick, contact your primary care provider.
Those with questions are advised to call the county health department directly at 518-270-2655 or contact the district’s COVID-19 Coordinator at Columbia High School at 518-207-2180.