The East Greenbush Central School District has approved wrestling strictly for non-contact conditioning only. Neither contact drills in practice nor meets against other schools are permitted at this time.
Allowing wrestling to commence but restricting the program to non-contact conditioning activities at this time would help to restore the coach-athlete connection, provide mentoring of student athletes, enhance the monitoring of these athletes’ academics and attendance, and properly prepare our athletes for actual competition if the opportunity should arise.
Coach Anthony Servidone has submitted a plan to commence the winter wrestling season in a safe and productive manner. That plan included the following safety measures:
- Safely monitoring the arrival of our student-athletes into the building, locker rooms and wrestling room areas.
- Daily attendance check-in that would include a daily health clearance.
- Daily inspection of the wrestling room area for safety and cleanliness.
- Daily proper disinfecting of the wrestling mat and practice area completed before practice, in between sessions of rotating groups and at the conclusion of each practice.
- Consistent groups of athletes will rotate into and out of the wrestling room providing numbers are greater than the maximum number allowed. We would utilize the weight room and any available athletic areas with one group while the other group is in the wrestling room.
The district will monitor the progress of our implementation of higher-risk winter sports and may consider further changes including competition within the wrestling program at a later time.