Dear Parents and Guardians,
While the rainy weather this Memorial Day was unfortunate, the time for reflecting on our freedoms and honoring all of the brave men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country is always cherished. I hope you were able to share some enjoyable time with your family this weekend.
The month of May has been a busy one at Red Mill. Our 3rd, 4th and 5th grade students have completed their NYS Math and ELA exams. Next week our 4th graders will take the NYS Science Test. All of our Red Mill students are enjoying the daily routines and benefiting academically from their full time schedule. Our students have also been enjoying more opportunities for socialization and fun, especially during our school-wide ABC Countdown! Excitement for the daily events is great to see! Thank you to all parents and our generous PTO for supporting the events.
On Thursday, June 3, 2021, we are excited to have Perry Ground, from the Onondaga Tribe and member of the Turtle Clan, share stories with our students. There are two separate virtual sessions scheduled (K-2 and 3-5) for all students in the district. This event is scheduled as part of our social studies curriculum and cultural education program.
As we march into June, we look forward to the continued special events on our ABC Countdown, as well as some modified Field Day Activities and our Moving Up Celebrations for Kindergarten (June 11) and 5th Grade (June 18).
Best of the Bus
Congratulations to the following students who were recognized by their bus drivers for being outstanding riders, respectful and helpful in the months of April and May:
- Grade 5: TJ Tirino, Carmella Bove-Stevens, Paige Casey, Liam Childrose, Mariana Mahar, Mariah Calderon, Amelia Bonacquisti, Romiel Esconde, Eli Parkinson.
- Grade 4: Peyton Charland, Kendall Turner, Derek Tomisman, Kendall Glasser, Kaisyla Hamlin.
- Grade 3: Aiden Atkins, Amelia Canfield, Wilson Stoddard, Cody O’Marra, Anna Bigness, Natalie Calderon.
- Grade 2: Ryan Forgea, Abigail Raphael, Olivia Polaski, Evan Caldwell.
- Grade 1: Luca Canfield, Ski’Lah Griffin-Sprague.
- Kindergarten: Zoey Barnes, Camden Murray, Mason Myint, Quinn Abbott, Sophia Cushman, Jaxson Below.
Thank you to these students for the example you set on our buses!
Our Character traits in in April and May were Cooperation and Kindness. Thanks to our Grade 4 teachers and our AIS teachers for leading our end of the month assemblies. Red Mill students continue to develop positive character and pride in being good school citizens. Our Kids of Character bulletin board in the main hallway continues to grow! The following classrooms were recognized as Classrooms of the Month for exemplary behavior and efforts in Art, Music, P.E., Library and the Cafeteria. Each had the honor of having the Class of the Month Banner to hang proudly on their door.
Class of the Month
Music – Mrs. Delancey’s 1st Grade
Art. – Mrs. Deer’s 2nd Grade
Library – Ms. Helmrath’s Kindergarten
Cafeteria. – Mrs. Horton’s Kindergarten
Phys. Ed. – Mrs. Duncan’s 3rd Grade
Music – Mr. Wick’s 4th Grade
Art – Mrs. Hayes’ 4th Grade
Library – Ms. Shemo’s 1st Grade
Cafeteria – Mrs. Stickles’ 1st Grade
Phys. Ed. – Mr. Huneck’s 5th Grade
(please refer to the ABC Countdown Sheet for additional Letter Days)
- June 3rd – Grade 5 to FunPlex
- June 7th – NYS Grade 4 Science Test
- June 10th – “P” – Dance Party Day (Live DJ outside)
- June 11th – Kindergarten Moving Up Celebration
- June 14th – Field Day Grades 3, 4 (these Field Days are no spectator events, next year back to normal!)
- June 15th – Field Day Grades 1, 5
- June 16th – Field Day Grades K, 2 & “T”- Tie Dye Tee Shirt day (wear the tee we made on Dye Day!)
- June 17th – “U” – USA Day – wear your red, white and blue
- June 18th – 5th Grade Moving Up Celebration
- June 21st – “W”- Wacky Hair Day
- June 22nd – Grade 5 Picnic