East Greenbush Central School District is looking for students and parents who are interested in participating in the creative problem-solving program Odyssey of the Mind.
What is Odyssey of the Mind?
Odyssey of the Mind is a creative problem-solving competition for students of all ages. Teams of students select a problem, create a solution, then present their solution in a competition against other teams in the same problem and division. Here are some of the basics of participation:
- Students work in teams of up to seven members under the guidance of an adult coach.
- Teams spend weeks or months, at their own pace, creating solutions to long-term problems.
- Team members come up with all the ideas for their solution and do all the work themselves. Coaches may help teach skills and educate the team on ways of approaching the problem and of evaluating their solution.
- Teams present their long-term problem solution in competition, along with a spontaneous problem to solve on site.
Can you think of anyone who fits any of these descriptions?
- The talented student that is “naturally” creative
- The student whose talents require nurturing
- The student who does not think of him or herself as creative, but feels they are “different” than their peers
- The student with untapped potential but no outlet for it to thrive
Parents and volunteers will act as coaches for the teams. Free coach training is provided for anyone interested in forming a team.
If you are interested in joining Odyssey of the Mind, please contact Julie Adadjo at AdadjoJu@egcsd.org. A ZOOM conference will be held on Thursday, October 7 at 7:00 p.m. The link will be sent to all who request it.