I hope you and your family are enjoying the remaining days of summer. We are excited to welcome your children back to school in September for what we hope will be a fun and positive school year. The first day of school for all students is Tuesday, September 6.
Over the summer, with the support of our Board of Education and our community, our schools have continued to be improved through our Capital Project. The work has included renovated classrooms and bathrooms, roofing repairs, installation of new windows, HVAC upgrades, paving at select parking lots, installation of new fuel tanks at our Transportation Center and replacement of the turf field and track. Some construction will continue into the fall and be done after school hours, but I am pleased to say all schools will open as scheduled.
Our maintenance and technology departments have done outstanding work to prepare our schools for the first day of school. It has been no easy feat considering the extensive construction at some of our schools. My sincerest thanks to those employees who are making our schools ready and welcoming for our students and staff.
School districts recently received updated COVID-19 guidance from the CDC and NYS Departments of Health and Education. The guidance provides increased flexibility regarding our operations, which should lead to a more normal school experience for our students with increased social engagement.
- Full time in-person learning for all students
- No social distancing requirement – classroom and cafeteria seating will provide students with more social interaction
- Face masks are optional for all students, staff and visitors inside schools and on school buses
- Continue with enhanced ventilation procedures to optimize air quality in all schools
- Regular cleaning and disinfecting of school buildings, buses and high-touch areas
- Promote hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette
- Every morning before school, please check your child for COVID-19 symptoms
- If your child displays a COVID-19 symptom, please keep them at home and call your school immediately
- In the event someone in your household tests positive for COVID-19, contact your school and inform them of the positive case
- 5-Day Isolation period for those who are sick or infected with COVID-19 (must submit Affirmation of Isolation Form to your school nurse)
- Masks are recommended upon return from isolation during days 6 through 10 after COVID-19 infection
- Close contacts do not need to quarantine and can continue attending school as long as they remain asymptomatic
- No surveillance testing for students or staff
- At-Home COVID Test Kits are available for free to all staff and families at each school
- Point of Care testing is available at all schools for students/staff who develop COVID-19 symptoms during the school day
- Parent consent is required for student testing (fill out 2022-23 COVID-19 Testing Consent Form)
The district has also reviewed and updated its school safety plans this summer. An information session for parents is being planned for later this Fall.
I encourage you to actively engage in your child’s education this school year. Your child will be bringing home a school calendar during the first week of school which includes school events, PTO meetings and other important dates. You can also visit our website at www.egcsd.org to follow the news of our school district.
Please know that our teachers, administrators and staff are here to support you and your child. Please reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns at the start of the school year. In this way, we can intervene early and ensure your child has a great school year.
I wish your family a happy and successful school year!
Superintendent of Schools