Dear Parents and Guardians:
This is our annual notification of safety protocols that have been established at the Green Meadow Elementary school. Our team makes school safety a top priority. We work diligently to ensure that while your children are here at school they are safe. Various measures are in place to ensure that we are best prepared for any situation that may arise.
Please take a moment to review some of the safety protocols listed below that are in place.
- A single point of entry is used to access Green Meadow Elementary School. All visitors must report to the reception window inside the vestibule to be properly signed in and badged. Badges must be worn at all times. Visitors are monitored during their time in the building. Our students and staff are instructed to not open any door for visitors as they must be buzzed in and monitored by our reception staff.
- Any visitor who enters an East Greenbush Central School District building will be asked by the reception area secretary to provide a valid state-issued license or government-issued identification. The secretary will scan the identification and the software program, Raptor Visitor Management, will instantaneously check the name on the identification against a national database of registered sex offenders. Once entry is approved, Raptor will issue a visitor badge that identifies the visitor, the date and the purpose of the visit. Visitors will be required to check out in the same location before leaving the school.
- Visitors who have been buzzed in should never hold the door open to permit others access to the building. This includes people that they may know and recognize.
- If there is an unknown person in the building, a staff member will approach the individual, ask if they can help the person, inform them of our school policies, and escort the visitor back to the main office.
- Enhanced security monitoring and lockdown systems are in place.
- There are security cameras continuously monitoring all access points as well as the surrounding areas of Green Meadow. Over the summer, the school district upgraded the surveillance cameras throughout the Green Meadow Campus.
- If there are any custody issues that may impact the school, it is the responsibility of the parent and/or guardian to provide the school with a copy of any legal papers. An email or other personal correspondence is not sufficient.
- We work closely with the Schodack Police Department. They visit our building frequently to monitor arrival and dismissal, as well as conduct various checks during the day. We also work closely with the District’s School Resource Officers, the New York State Police, and the Rensselaer County Sheriff’s Department.
- Green Meadow Elementary School has a comprehensive Building Safety Plan.
- The Building Safety Committee meets periodically to review our building-level plan and to focus on preventative strategies.
- The EGCSD has a District Safety Committee, of which the Green Meadow principal is a member.
- The EGCSD has a district-wide safety coordinator, Mr. Jeffrey Tooker, who coordinates all district safety plans and procedures.
- The EGCSD has a comprehensive district-wide Emergency Management Plan.
- Safety drills are conducted throughout the school year and at various times during the day. These include Fire/Evacuation, Lockdown, Lockout, and Hold-in-Place/Shelter-in-Place drills.
We encourage all students to take the bus to and from school for routine transportation. However, if you will be transporting your child, please note the following guidelines located on the Green Meadow Webpage.
Lastly, we would like to remind you that during an emergency dismissal, students must be transported via school bus to the emergency location indicated on the student verification form. It is critical that all information, including emergency dismissal location, phone number(s), and email addresses are up to date.
Our staff recognizes that emergencies can happen. We are confident that with proper planning and preparation, these emergencies can and will be handled effectively. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.
Daniel G. Garab