Columbia High School hosted the Capital Region Science Olympiad Invitational Championship on Saturday, which included 38 teams from states across the Northeast. The STEM-based competition featured 25 events in subjects such as astronomy, chemistry and engineering.
Columbia won 16 medals as its A team came in second place overall and its B team finished in 23rd.
The team will go on to compete at the MIT Invitational Championships on January 21 and will defend the Regional Championship title on February 4.
Congratulations to the team and coaches!
- Forestry- Teddy Howard and Sophia Xin
- Forensics – Payten Hines and Zach Booth
- Science Bowl – Akkhil Morkonda, Teddy Howard, and Austin Ernst
- Bridges – Akkhil Morkonda and Alyssa Sentz
- Detector Building – Akshat Arinav and Sophia Xiao
- Dynamic Planet – Teddy Howard and Cait Weinheimer
- Scrambler – Cait Weinheimer and Tori Patrissy
- Astronomy – Cait Weinheimer and Umaiza Shah
- Disease Detectives – Akkhil Morkonda and Sophia Xin
- Experimental Design – Austin Ernst, Umaiza Shah, and Tori Patrissy
- Remote Sensing – Akshat Arinav and Austin Ernst
4th-6th Place Medals
- Environmental Chemistry – Morgan Sanford and Alyssa Sentz
- It’s About Time – Teddy Howard and Prithul Gautam
- Rocks and Minerals – Raychelle Adadjo and Alaina Marino
- Wifi Lab – Akshat Arinav and Umaiza Shah
- Write it Do it – Bella Temkin and Laney Broglio