The snow day on Tuesday did not deter the East Greenbush CSD Mathematics Department from celebrating Pi Day at Columbia High School and Howard L. Goff Middle School. The delayed celebration took place on Wednesday, March 15th (the day after Pi Day, which is recognized annually on March 14).
Columbia High School students created a visual representation of pi. Students were given a digit of pi and asked to decorate it. Over 750 digits of pi were displayed in the hallway of the third floor North tower.
- Thanks to a generous donation from Table Talk pies, faculty, staff, and administration at Columbia High School received a Table Talk pie. Pies were also shared with administration and staff at the District Office, and some faculty, staff, and administration at Howard L. Goff Middle School.
- Students, faculty, and staff from Howard L. Goff Middle School and Columbia High School collected canned food and non-perishables. Donations were given to the EGCSD Backpack Program. Additional donations will be given to a local food pantry.
- The Columbia High School Math League Club created a math display in the main lobby of the high school to celebrate Pi Day. The display included pi stickers for the students, treats, and an oversized pi digit board.
- Students and teachers celebrated the math holiday with various activities throughout the day.
- Winners of Columbia’s annual Pi Recitation Contest included:
- Akkhil Morkonda (grade 12) – 1st place – 161 digits – Received Table Talk pie, Pi Day pencil, gum, $20 Amazon gift card
- Alex Saddlemire (grade 9) – 2nd place – 88 digits – Received Table Talk pie, Pi Day pencil, gum, $10 Target gift card
- Holly Thorpe (grade 9) – 3rd place – 81 digits – received Table Talk pie, Pi Day pencil, gum, $5 Dunkin’ gift card
- Other participants (Elle Hutton (grade 10), Gabe Cecunjanin (grade 11), Caitlin Weinheimer (grade 11), Shane Baker (grade 11), Ariq Zaman (grade 9) each received a Table Talk pie, Pi Day pencil, and lollipop.
Happy (belated) Pi Day from the Columbia Math Department! #PiDay @Columbia_HS_BD pic.twitter.com/4Dq4EtwnZ1
— East Greenbush CSD (@EGreenbushCSD) March 15, 2023