The School Library Media Program ensures that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information. The School Library Media Center functions as the information center of the school providing resources and services that enable students to become lifelong learners.
The School Library Media Program is a partnership among certified school librarians, school administrators, teachers, parents and students. An effective program is fully integrated into all curriculum areas delivered by a full-time certified school librarian through a flexible schedule by incorporating the NYS Common Core Standards and the AASL (American Association of School Librarians) Standards.
From: The EGCSD 5 year plan for Librarians 2012
About our CHS Library Staff
Kate Ingham – CHS
Laura Campagna – CHS, Red Mill
Jill Leinung – CHS, DPS, Green Meadow
Sherry Ryan – Library Typist
To Borrow Library Materials
- Students must know their ID number or have ID available to borrow materials.
- If students have overdue materials their borrowing privileges will be restricted. We are happy to hold a book for you until you return your overdue items.
- Students may borrow books and magazines for four weeks.
- They may renew unrequested library materials if necessary longer than the four week borrowing period, provided no other students or staff have requested the items.
- Students are allowed to borrow up to five items at any time.
- More than five library materials may be loaned out to students academic performing research.
- College, Career and Exam study materials in the reference section may be checked out for one week.
About the CHS Library Collection
Books: We have approximately 19,150 books in our collection. Use the Mandarin OPAC (Online Public Access Catalog) to find what you need. Our catalog is accessible from the library website as well. Students may borrow 5 items at a time.
Magazines: Current issues are on display for leisure reading. Back issues of magazines are kept for three to five years and may be borrowed by filling out written request slips. We also have access to magazine databases to assist with research.
Newspapers: We subscribe to the Times Union, The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal. Current issues are hanging on the slatwall next to the library television. Prior issues of newspapers are available.
Computer resources: Students must have a user ID and password to access library computers. Internet access is available for academic use only. Online databases are provided by the East Greenbush School District, our school library system, and the New York State Library.
Interlibrary loan: Catalogs of the holdings of area school, college, public and special libraries are available on the Internet. We can arrange for borrowing books and articles from other libraries through our interlibrary loan system.
Photocopying: A photocopier is provided by the Student Council. The cost for copying is 10 cents per page.
Debt List: Students who lose or damage library materials will be required to pay for their replacement. Checks should be made out to Columbia High School.
This is YOUR library, So please let us know how we can help you!
Follow our CHS Facebook page for current library events and news