All school districts in New York State are required to adopt and submit to the State Education Department an Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR) plan for teachers and school principals or risk losing a portion of their state aid.
What is APPR?
- The Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR) is an evaluation of a teacher’s or principal’s practice.
- A teacher’s practice must reflect the New York State teaching standards.
- A principal’s practice must reflect the standards for school leaders.
- Teacher and principal evaluations include student achievement and growth data.
- The purpose of this plan is to improve student achievement through improved teacher performance.
- The EGCSD develops its own evaluation plan within those guidelines.
What is the goal of APPR?
- APPR is one of a number of statewide initiatives to improve student performance and assure that all students graduate from high school both college and career ready.
- APPR aims to provide standardized, objective evaluation results, which can be used to better focus professional development for teachers and principals.
Is this the first time teachers and principals have been evaluated?
- Teachers and principals have always been evaluated.
- However, the evaluations now include student achievement data which is directly tied to student performance on state exams or other state-approved learning measures.
Will APPR scores be made public?
- APPR scores are not considered public information.
- However, state leaders have agreed that teachers’ and principals’ composite APPR ratings may be released to parents or guardians upon request and verification of identity, only for their child’s current teachers and principal. Learn more by clicking here.
APPR Quick links
- East Greenbush CSD’s most recently approved APPR plan
- Parent’s Guide to APPR presentation (a publication by Questar III BOCES)
- Ten things to know about APPR
- “Parent Information Session” APPR presentation
- Common Core Learning Standards
- Memo on assessment administration in conjunction with APPRs
APPR – Teacher’s Resource
- NYSED Login Site for TSDL Verification (Once you have an account)
- TSDL Users Guide
- Video Guide to Creating your Account
- Video Guide to Viewing Snapshot Reports (Full Year and Assessment)
- Important – How to update your name in TEACH System
- 2014-15 Verification of Teacher-Student Data Linkages (TSDL) (Due May 22, 2015)
- Teacher Student Roster Verification Report (Also includes Video Directions)
- Reporting and Verifying TSDL (Kathleen Moorhead Feb 2014)
- TSDL Users Guide
- (The Purple Document) NYS Teacher and Principal Evaluation 2012-13 and beyond
- Guidance on Reporting and Verifying TSDL (Ken Wagner March 2012)