The Dignity for All Students Act was signed into law in September 2010, to ensure that students throughout New York State attend school in a safe and supportive environment, free from discrimination, intimidation, taunting, harassment and bullying on school property, on school buses or at school functions.
Definition of Terms:
Harassment/Bullying is defined as the creation of a hostile environment through actions or words that intimidate, or are abusive. In addition, actions are considered harassment if they will interfere — or have the potential to interfere — in a student’s education or in a student’s mental, emotional, or physical health and well-being.
Types of harassment and bullying include:
- Verbal: Name-calling, teasing, inappropriate sexual comments, taunting, threatening to cause harm.
- Social: Spreading rumors about someone, excluding others on purpose, telling other children not to be friends with someone, embarrassing someone in public.
- Physical: Hitting, punching, shoving, kicking, pinching, spitting, tripping, pushing, taking or breaking someone’s things, making mean or rude hand gestures.
The East Greenbush Central School District is committed to providing all students an educational environment free of harassment and bullying. As required by the legislation, each District school building has a Dignity Act Coordinator. The District also has a new Code of Conduct that complies with the legal requirements of the Dignity Act.
To shape a school environment that promotes respect, dignity and equality, each school building has implemented a character education program that develops key character traits such as honesty, tolerance, personal responsibility, respect for others, courtesy and observance of laws and rules. More information about the program can be obtained by contacting Building Principals or Dignity Act Coordinators.
Everyone in the District, from students to staff, is encouraged to report instances of bullying and harassment immediately to Building Principals, Building Level Dignity Act Coordinators or the District Dignity Act Coordinator, Marissa Cannon, Director of Human Resources.
Dignity Act Coordinators
|Bell Top||Jaime Gibbs||Social Worker||GibbsJa@egcsd.org|
|DPS||Tiffany Rinehimer||Social Worker||RinehiTi@egcsd.org|
|Green Meadow||Maria Fontaine|
|Social Worker|| FontaiMa@egcsd.org|
|Genet||Karen Sheridan||Social Worker||SheridKa@egcsd.org|
|Red Mill||Maria Fontaine||Social Worker||FontaiMa@egcsd.org|
|Goff||James Eggleston||Social Worker||EgglestonJa@egcsd.org|
|Columbia||Audra Di Bacco|
|Social Worker|| DiBaccAu@egcsd.org|
|District-wide||Marissa Cannon||Director of Human Resources||CannonMa@egcsd.org|
SAFE SCHOOL HELPLINE
- Report Anonymous Tip
- Bullying Prevention and Intervention Incident Reporting Form
- District Code of Conduct
- Code of Conduct Summary
- Athletic Code of Conduct
- Board Policy 0115 – Updated July 3, 2013
- Board Policy 0115-R – Updated July 3, 2013
- Board Policy 0115-E – Updated October 10, 2012
- Dignity Act Brochure – a publication of the New York State Education Department (NYSED)