Each year, Goff eighth graders have the opportunity to travel to Washington, D.C. Anyone returning the attached permission forms and $100 deposit by Friday, November 15 and meets all building criteria and eligibility requirements will be reserved a seat on the trip. (Students who return the permission forms after the above date may be placed on a waiting list.)
The cost of the trip will be $355.00. Students may reduce the cost of their trip by participating in our fundraisers in collaboration with the Goff PTO (e.g., annual ziti dinner, car wash, etc).
Students will be asked to form their own groups. Up to four boys or four girls can be in a rooming group. Groups of fewer than four will be combined. Each group of four must have a parent chaperone. Groups that do not have at least one parent chaperone attending the trip will be assigned one. After the initial deposit has been submitted, rooming forms will be made available to students for them to form their rooming groups. Parents/guardians will have the opportunity to sign up for the trip and the chaperone selection will be determined by lottery if multiple parents enter the lottery for their child’s group. Once your child has decided on their roommates, those parents should reach out to the other parents in their child’s group to introduce themselves and see which parents will also be entering their names into the lottery. Once we receive all rooming sheets we will be able to determine how many chaperones for that group have signed up for the trip. Please take time to discuss rooming groups with your child before submitting his/her form. Confirm all students have spoken and are all in agreement with the rooming arrangements to ensure accuracy, avoid confusion and finalize arrangements. Please sign your child’s rooming sheet once completed and have your son/daughter return the sheet to Mr. Neumann’s office as soon as possible.
Wednesday, May 6, 2020
- 5:30 am Buses depart Goff
- 9:15 am 20-minute rest stop in New Jersey
- 12:00 pm Eat bagged lunch
- 1:30 pm Capitol Hill Tour / Supreme Court / Library of Congress
- 4:00 pm Meet at the Smithsonian Metro Station
- 4:30 pm Take the metro to Arlington National Cemetery
- 5:00 pm Tour Arlington National Cemetery via guides
- 6:00 pm Meet buses and depart for Fashion Mall Center
- 6:30 pm Dinner and shopping at the Fashion Mall Center
- 8:00 pm Meet tour buses and depart for hotel
- 9:00 pm Arrive at hotel
- 10:00 pm Lights out
Thursday, May 7, 2020
- 7:00 am Breakfast at hotel
- 8:00 am Depart hotel
- 9:00 am Day tours of Washington
- Ford’s Theater (guided tour)
- National Archives (self-guided tour)
- Holocaust Museum
- Natural History Museum
- Smithsonian Museum
- 12:00 pm Lunch (on your own)
- 5:30 pm Load buses for dinner Union Station
- 7:30 pm Monument tours at night
- 10:30 pm Arrive at hotel
Friday, May 8, 2020
- 7:00 am Breakfast at hotel
- 8:30 am Board buses and leave for Inner Harbor
- 9:30 am Tour of Camden Yards (optional / if child selected)
- 9:30 am National Aquarium / Shopping / Science Museum (on your own)
- 11:45 am Lunch / Harbor Place Mall / Aquarium
- 1:45 pm Buses leave for Goff
- 7:00 pm Dinner at Thruway rest stop
- 9:30 pm Arrive at Goff
There will be an informational meeting for parents/guardians regarding the Washington, D.C. Trip on Thursday, October 10 at 5:30 p.m. in the Goff cafeteria. This meeting is open to all families interested in learning more about the trip and is strongly recommended that you attend. If you have any questions, please contact the Taylor House Office at 518-207-2451.
TO REGISTER YOUR CHILD FOR THE FIELD TRIP
Address an envelope with the following information:
- Your child’s name (please print)
- His/her team (8-1 or 8-2)
- “Washington Trip”
In this envelope, please enclose the following (please do not staple together):
- Completed registration forms (last page of packet)
- $100.00 deposit – checks made payable to “Goff Student Activities”
- Due date – by Friday, November 16th.
*****Please print your child’s name on the memo line of your check*****
PLEASE NOTE FINAL PAYMENT IS DUE FRIDAY, MARCH 6, 2020 AND AFTER THAT DATE NO REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED.
If there is a problem with payment of the deposit, please enclose a note to Mr. Neumann instead of the deposit check and he will make alternate payment arrangements with you.
When above is completed, please seal the envelope and have your child drop it off in the Washington, D.C. box located in the Taylor House Office (Mr. Neumann’s office) after he/she gets off of the bus in the morning. Please do not bring this envelope to any other teacher or house office – bring directly to Mr. Neumann’s office.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR ATTENDING THE FIELD TRIP
- Student attendance on any Goff school field trip is a privilege. Student behavior during the school year is closely monitored and helps to determine a student’s eligibility for any field trip.
- If a student violates any Level One Infraction during the year, the administrative team will review the infraction and notify parents if the student’s eligibility for the trip is in jeopardy. A Level One Infraction may mean the immediate removal from any or all field trips. These infractions are listed in the Code of Conduct that is located on our website at the beginning of each school year.
- Level Two Infractions will also be monitored and used to determine whether the integrity of the trip is compromised. Level Two Infractions do not cause immediate removal but are subject to review and students may be removed based upon administrative discretion. Parents will be notified and a review committee of administrators, guidance counselors and teacher chaperones will determine the student’s eligibility. These infractions are also located in the Code of Conduct.
- Approximately six weeks prior to the field trip, all reservations and accommodations need to be finalized. At this time, parents will be notified of the eligibility of their child’s status for the trip. Any Level One Infraction after the final payment date (3/1/19) will automatically nullify the student’s eligibility for the trip. Any trip payments will be forfeited.