In order to be in compliance with the CDC and NYSDOH guidelines regarding COVID-19, Howard L. Goff Middle School has made some changes to the daily arrival and dismissal procedures for this year. Upon arrival to school, all students who ride the bus will be directed to the entrance that corresponds with their grade level. As students enter the building, staff will complete a temperature screening.
- Everyone dropping a student off must utilize the proper drop area in front of the building. No students can be dropped in the staff parking lots.
- We will be using different points of entry into the building for different grade levels, but all students being dropped by a parent must still cross the bus lane in the center of the building at the crosswalk.
- Temperature checks will now be conducted inside of the building. As it begins to get colder the thermometers will function more efficiently with a consistent indoor temperature.
- Students will exit their car immediately upon arrival to the parent drop area. They will be directed where to stand for social distancing.
- Parent drop-off will continue to follow the pattern of a single lane but will not need to wait for staff to take their students’ temperatures
- If a student exits a bus and does not meet the temperature requirements, they will be directed to a location where they can rest and be rechecked after a few minutes. If the temperature is still greater than 100 degrees, the student will be escorted to the school isolation room where they will be seen by the school nurse.
- Thermometers are contactless and staff will use proper PPE.
- Medical staff will be available to evaluate anyone who appears to show any signs or symptoms of COVID-19.
- School doors will open at approximately 7:35 a.m. We will not have drop off staff in place prior to 7:30, so the drop off process will not begin until then. It is imperative that no students exit any vehicles until they have had their temperature taken by a staff member. No students should be dropped without staff approval.
These processes may take some time to evaluate, so please be patient as we start the year. If you are dropping off, please make sure your student is ready to exit your vehicle as soon as they get staff approval. Many times our delays in the drop zone are due to students taking a long time to gather their things when arriving.
- 6TH GRADE ENTER THROUGH MAIN DOOR (this is a change)
- 7TH GRADE ENTER THROUGH GREEN HOUSE DOOR (no change)
- 8TH GRADE ENTER THROUGH FAR CAFETERIA DOOR (this is a change)
Picking up Students from school
- Prior to the end of the school day:
- Any adult who is approved to pick up a student must call ahead to let the main office secretary know they are coming. (518-207-2430)
- You MUST have identification in order to pick up any student.
- We will only allow one person in the security vestibule at a time for the security check. This may cause delay when picking up your student. Please plan accordingly.
- At dismissal:
- Students being picked up from school will be dismissed from their 9th period classes by grade level
- It is imperative that students are only picked up in the parent drop off lane.
- To ensure the safety of our students, they cannot be picked up in the teacher parking lot or on Gilligan Road.
- We are asking all parents/guardians picking-up students to please park at the Little League fields prior to 2:41 PM. The East Greenbush Police will assist with the parking and leaving of the lot when available. If you could fill the lot orderly, it would be helpful at 2:41 when the students are ready for pickup. Please do not block Gilligan Road by leaving the lot before 2:41, the buses must be able to get to the school. We will be trying to avoid using the church parking lot going forward.
- The pickup lane will be closed until 2:41 PM. We will be maintaining a single line of traffic through the pickup lane once it opens. If your child is not outside and waiting for you, we ask that you loop around and re-enter the parent pick-up lane (this may require driving to the little league fields again and back.)
- Students must be picked up in the parent pick up lane. Please do not text or call your child and ask them to meet you somewhere else, we cannot allow kids to walk away from the parent pickup lane.
Thank you for your attention to this matter. Just as a reminder, no student may be dropped off prior to 7:30 a.m. We appreciate your cooperation and patience as we navigate through these new procedures.
All students, staff and visitors on school property, including schools, parking lots, fields and buses, must wear a face covering (cloth mask or surgical mask that covers the mouth and nose). Bandanas and neck gaiters will not be permitted. The only times that masks will not be required is for eating/drinking and during designated mask breaks at the discretion of the teacher and within the parameters established by the school.
Schools/buses will have disposable face masks for any student who does not have a mask.
Only those with medically documented reasons for not wearing face coverings would be exempt from this mandate.
Daily Health Screenings/Temperature Checks
Temperature checks and submitting the Health Screening Form are required of parents daily before students leave for school. Please check your children for the following COVID-19 symptoms:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
School staff will also perform temperature checks of students when they arrive at school. These checks will remain outside as students enter the building through multiple exits. Students cannot be permitted to enter a building without a temperature check and submitting the Daily Health Screening Form.
If a student has a fever (100 degrees or higher), they will be sent to the designated isolation room to be evaluated by a school nurse. Parents will be contacted immediately and asked to come pick up their child.