Dear Genet Families!
Happy Friday Everyone! This week was filled with many events and the excitement leading up to Halloween! The staff and I have our costumes ready and I am eagerly awaiting to see what our students will dress up as this year! I hope to see you at our Halloween Parade that begins at 2 p.m. next week and look forward to a safe event for our school.
This week was Genet’s Scholastic Book Fair and it was a wonderful success! Many students and staff purchased books. There is nothing more powerful than providing our students with the opportunity to put great literature in their hands while encouraging them to read. I would like to thank families, our school librarian and library clerk (Mrs. Garno and Mrs. Quinn), our parent volunteers and the Genet PTO for making this event such a success for our school.
As a reminder, tonight at Genet is our Movie Night sponsored by the Genet and Green Meadow PTO. Our movie is Disney’s Descendants 3. I look forward to seeing many of you there tonight!
This week Genet also saw the installation of a new bell system. There will be three bells which will ring each day at specific times. Here is the information on our bell schedule and what the bells denote:
- 8:40 AM – Signals Student Arrival
- 8:55 AM – Late Bell – any students arriving after this bell will be tardy to school
- 3:05 PM – Dismissal Bell – bell will begin student dismissal with an announcement
If there are any questions regarding the new bell system, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.
This week we had meteorologist, Brian Frugis, who visited our 3rd Grade students. Mr. Frugis provided valuable insight regarding a career in meteorology. He shared instruments used in predicting the weather including a rain gauge, radiosonde, and weather balloon. Mr. Frugis also explained how predicting the weather helps to keep us safe and informed.
News from The Art Room, by Mrs. Letourneau
With Fall in the air, first graders are in the midst of working on a mixed media leaf project in art class. Students are learning about warm colors and are using their tracing, drawing, cutting, and gluing skills. They are finding that the leaf texture plates, to create their leaf rubbings, are pretty amazing. They will also use watercolor markers and a collage technique to enhance their overall leaf design.
Here are some upcoming events at Genet:
- TONIGHT – October 25th – Movie Night sponsored by the Genet and Green Meadow PTO! Flyers went home with students this week! I look forward to watching Descendants 3 with all of our students and any other students that will join us from Green Meadow! Again, the Genet PTO is looking for extra help at this event.
- October 31 – Genet’s Halloween Parade! Please refer to the letter regarding expectations and procedures for this event that was sent home two weeks ago. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and I look forward to a safe and fun event for our school!
- November 4 – Genet’s PTO Meeting at 6:30 PM in the Genet Conference Room. All are welcome to attend!
- November 5 – No School – Election Day and K-12 Full day Professional Development Day for Faculty and Staff.
- November 8 – Emergency Go Home Drill – On this day we will be dismissing 15 minutes earlier and students are expected to go to the location on their verification form. If you are unsure what your emergency location is, please contact Mrs. Giordano in the Main Office at Genet Elementary School.
- November 8 – Genet’s Veterans Day Salute!
- November 11 – No School – Veterans Day
- November 20 – Half-Day for K-5 – Parent Teacher Conference in the afternoon and evening.
- November 27-29th – Thanksgiving Recess!
Thank you for your continued support of Genet and I wish you all the best this coming week!