This webpage is being updated regularly as new information becomes available. Last updated October 23, 2020.
The East Greenbush Central School District continues to monitor the situation regarding the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). District administrators are meeting regularly and are following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the New York State Department of Health and the NYS Department of Education.
Return to School Requirements Following COVID-19 Symptoms
The East Greenbush Central School District has shared updated state requirements for when students can return to school after showing COVID-19 symptoms. Families will no longer need to submit a doctor’s note AND a negative COVID test result any time a student shows symptoms of COVID-19. The new process requires the student to be examined by their health care provider, who has the option of ordering a COVID test or giving a different diagnosis (e.g., a chronic condition unrelated to COVID-19).
If the health care provider orders a COVID test, the student can return to school only with a doctor’s note and the negative test results. If a COVID test is not ordered, the student can return to school with a doctor’s note stating the alternate diagnosis.
- Updated Return to School After Illness Form (must be completed by primary care provider)
- Flowchart for Students/Staff Returning to School
Columbia Athletics Hall of Fame Celebration Rescheduled to May 8, 2021
The Columbia High School Athletic Hall of Fame Celebration, originally scheduled for May 2 and then postponed to November 6, has been rescheduled to May 8, 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic and current restrictions on large gatherings. The event will celebrate the Hall of Fame Classes of 2020 and 2021. Tickets can be requested through Columbia High School’s Athletic Department at 518-207-2085. More information.
Columbia Cancels SAT Exams Through December
Columbia High School has canceled its administration of SAT Exams through December due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The canceled dates include: September 26, October 3, November 7 and December 5. More information about SAT Exams can be found at the College Board website.
External Groups Renting Space Inside Schools
The district has temporarily canceled all external group rentals inside our schools to help reduce the potential for community spread of COVID-19.
About Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a respiratory disease that can lead to fever, cough and trouble breathing or shortness of breath. Infectious disease experts say most cases are milt to moderate. But it can be more severe in older adults and people with chronic health conditions.
People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19:
- Fever (temperature of greater than 100.0° F in the last 14 days)
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or Vomiting
COVID Testing Sites
COVID-19 testing sites can be found at the following link: https://coronavirus.health.ny.
There are currently no vaccines available to protect against this virus. Like with all viruses and illnesses, there’s a tremendous reliance on individual precautions. The NYS Department of Health recommends the following ways to minimize the spread of all respiratory viruses, including COVID-19:
- Wear a face covering (cloth mask or surgical mask that covers the mouth and nose) when you are in public.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. Keep a distance of at least 6 feet to help slow the spread of COVID-19.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing. If you use a tissue, throw it in the trash.
- Routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
New York State has issued a travel advisory for anyone returning from travel to states that have a significant degree of community-wide spread of COVID-19. View Travel Advisory.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Homeland Security are applying travel restrictions and quarantines, as appropriate, for people traveling internationally. The CDC has provided guidelines for travelers, and we ask anyone traveling or returning to the country to follow all relevant recommendations/directives. More Information.
If you or a family member begin showing symptoms of a respiratory disease and suspect it may be COVID-19, contact your healthcare provider. Before going to your healthcare provider’s office, inform them that a case of COVID-19 is suspected, and follow their advice.
In addition, New York has established a Novel Coronavirus Hotline, which can provide additional information. Call 1-888-364-3065 with questions or concerns about travel and symptoms. The district will continue to share information as it becomes available.
Please know that, as always, the health and safety of our students and staff is our highest priority.
- Novel Coronavirus (NYS Department of Health)
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (CDC)
- Information for Travel (CDC)
- FAQ for Travelers (CDC)
- Prevention & Treatment of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (CDC)
- FAQ: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (CDC)
- Talking to Children About COVID-19 (Coronavirus) (National Association of School Psychologists)
- Talking to Teens and Tweens About Coronavirus (New York Times)
- Doctor On Demand – Coronavirus Risk Assessment
- Free/No-Cost Access to Telemedicine Services (for CDPHP and MVP Health Care members)
- CHS Counseling Website
- Employee Rights Under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- Town of East Greenbush Resources
- COVID-19 Plans Submitted to State Education Department
- Family Resources to Support Health and Wellness
- Return to School After Illness Form
- Video: Supporting Your Child During COVID-19 Nasal Swab Testing (Mayo Clinic)
- NYS Departments of Health and Education Share Information About New Coronavirus (February 6)
- Letter from Superintendent Simons Regarding Coronavirus (February 28)
- Coronavirus Update: East Greenbush CSD Postpones Large Community Events (March 10)
- Coronavirus Update: External Group Rentals Suspended (March 12)
- Coronavirus Update: Superintendent’s Conference Day Called for Monday, March 16 (March 13)
- Coronavirus Update: Chromebooks Being Sent Home with Students in Grades 3-5 (March 13)
- Coronavirus Update: East Greenbush CSD Cancels Classes Through March 27 (March 14)
- Coronavirus Update: East Greenbush CSD Cancels Classes for Tuesday, March 17 (March 16)
- Coronavirus Update: New York Public Schools Closed Through April 1 (March 16)
- Letter from Rensselaer County Department of Health to Residents (March 16)
- Video: Questar III and Rensselaer County Press Conference (March 17)
- East Greenbush CSD Expands Backpack Program for School Community Families (March 18)
- Coronavirus Update: Free and Reduced Price Meal Information (March 18)
- Greenbush YMCA to Provide School-Age Childcare for Emergency Personnel (March 19)
- NYS Education Department Suspends Elementary- and Intermediate-Level State Assessments for Remainder of School Year (March 20)
- PBS to Broadcast Educational Content for Pre-K Through 12th Grade (March 21)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) and Your National Grid Service: What to Know (March 23)
- YMCA Expands School-Age Childcare for ‘Essential’ Workers (March 23)
- Live Facebook Q&A with Superintendent Jeff Simons Scheduled for March 31 (March 25)
- District Providing Free Childcare for ‘Essential’ Workers (March 26)
- District Announces More Dates for Backpack Program Drop Off/Pickup (March 27)
- Free Childcare Offered at Goff Middle School Starting March 30 (March 27)
- Coronavirus Update: New York Public Schools Remain Closed Until April 15 (March 27)
- Video: We Love You DPS Song! (March 30)
- Video: We Miss You Red Mill! (March 30)
- Bell Top Schedules Instructional Packet Pickups (March 30)
- Genet Schedules Curriculum Resource Pickup Date for April 1 (March 30)
- Green Meadow Mailing New Work Packets Home (March 31)
- Goff Class Field Trips Canceled, Full Refunds Available to Families (March 31)
- Red Mill Schedules Curriculum Resource Pickup Date for April 1 (March 31)
- Coronavirus Update: Governor Extends School Closings Until April 15, Spring Break Canceled
- District Announces More Dates Offering Food to Families (April 1)
- Coronavirus Update: Schools Remain Closed Until April 29, June Regents Exams Canceled (April 6)
- District Schedules More Dates for Offering Food to Families (April 9)
- Red Mill Schedules Curriculum Resource Pickup Date for April 20 (April 14)
- Remote Learning Guidelines Newsletter (April 14)
- Coronavirus Update: Schools Remain Closed through May 15 (April 17)
- Parent Resources: Substance Abuse Prevention (April 29)
- District Extends ‘Food for Families’ Program (April 30)
- Coronavirus Update: Schools Remain Closed through End of School Year (May 1)
- In the Absence of Class Field Trips, Goff Librarian Creates Virtual Tours of Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. (May 6)
- Budget Vote and Board Election Rescheduled to June 9, Vote Will Be Conducted By Mail (May 7)
- East Greenbush CSD to Host Virtual Community Forum – May 14 (May 8)
- Parent Workshop: When Your Child is Anxious – May 18 (May 11)
- District Extends ‘Food for Families’ Program Through End of June (May 14)
- Video: The ‘Art Show’ Must Go On (May 14)
- Watch: Virtual Community Forum (May 14)
- Video: Columbia Class of 2020 Announces College Decisions and Future Plans (May 18)
- Board of Education Approves Calendar Change to End School Year on June 15 (May 21)
- Summer School Will Be Conducted Through Distance Learning (May 26)
- Columbia Schedules Senior Family Celebration for Drive-In Theatre in June, Postpones Diploma Ceremony to July (June 1)
- Columbia Schedules Locker Cleanout and Cap and Gown Pickup (June 2)
- Columbia Student Helps Fight COVID-19 By Making Face Shields for Health Care Workers (June 2)
- ‘Paint the Town Blue’ and Celebrate the Columbia Class of 2020 (June 5)
- Goff Schedules 8th Grade Elevation Celebration Parade for June 15 (June 5)
- State Extends Deadline for Mail-In Voting to June 16 (June 8)
- Columbia High School Schedules Diploma Ceremonies for June 27 (June 11)
- Two District Administrators Selected for Re-Opening Task Force (June 18)
- Columbia Outdoor Basketball Courts Closed for Maintenance (June 19)
- District Extends ‘Food for Families’ Program Into July (June 25)
- District Creates School Opening Task Force (June 26)
- District to Host Board of Education Meetings at Columbia Library, Will Continue to Live Stream for Public (July 1)
- Grab n Go Meal Program to Continue Through Summer (July 2)
- Coronavirus Update: State Schedules Deadlines for School Reopening Plans (July 8)
- District Reviewing State Guidance for Reopening Schools (July 14)
- NYSPHSAA Delays Fall Sports and Cancels Fall Championships (July 16)
- State Education Department Issues Guidance to Reopen New York State Schools (July 16)
- District to Share Preliminary Reopening Plan with School Community on July 27 (July 24)
- District Proposes Hybrid Model for Reopening Schools this Fall (July 27)
- District Presents Preliminary Reopening Plan at Board of Education Meeting (July 30)
- District Extends ‘Food for Families’ Program Through August (July 31)
- East Greenbush CSD to Host Reopening Community Forums – August 5 and 13 (August 3)
- Watch: Reopening Community Forum (August 5)
- New York State Schools Permitted to Reopen in September (August 7)
- East Greenbush CSD Submitted Reopening Plan to State on July 30 (August 10)
- Reopening Community Forum Schedule (August 12)
- First Day of School Delayed to September 14 (August 13)
- Watch: Reopening Community Forum – August 13 (August 13)
- East Greenbush CSD Offers Enrollment Choice Options for the 2020-21 School Year (August 14)
- District Shares Updated Reopening Plans for Full Remote Option, Contact Tracing and Testing (August 14)
- Watch: Reopening Community Forum – August 18 (August 18)
- East Greenbush CSD Shares Child Care Options for Families (August 25)
- Advisory Regarding Possible COVID-19 Exposure at SAT Exam at Columbia High School on August 29 (September 4)
- Low- and Moderate-Risk Fall Sports to Start September 21; Football, Volleyball and Cheer Postponed to March 2021 (September 11)
- Back to School Information (September 11)
- District Shares COVID-19 Health Screening Form (September 11)
- Columbia Student, Who Was Not In School Monday, Tests Positive for COVID-19 (September 14)
- Columbia Cancels SAT Exams Through December (September 15)
- District Updates Families on Return to School Requirements Following an Illness (September 30)
- Goff Student, Who Has Not Been In School Since September 21, Tests Positive for COVID-19 (September 30)
- New York State Updates Return to School Requirements (October 2)
- Columbia Student, Who Has Not Been In School Since October 5, Tests Positive for COVID-19 (October 13)
- Columbia Athletics Hall of Fame Celebration Rescheduled to May 8, 2021 (October 23)