The Next Generation Learning Standards are K-12 grade-specific standards in English Language Arts and Mathematics. The standards were developed by committees consisting of NYS educators, parents, curriculum specialists, school administrators, college professors and experts in cognitive research.
These new learning standards aim to reimagine the educational framework for English language arts and mathematics, with the goal of better supporting educators in their instructional practice and to provide additional guidance on achieving a vision of 21st century literacy.
Next Generation Learning Standards Timeline
- September 2017: Adoption of NYS Next Generation Learning Standards.
- Phase I: Raise Awareness (Winter 2018-Winter/Spring 2019): Professional development on NYS Next Generation Learning Standards; two-day assessments measuring the 2011 P-12 Learning Standards.
- Phase II: Build Capacity (Spring 2019-Summer 2020): Professional development continuing on NYS Next Generation Learning Standards; two-day assessments measuring the 2011 P-12 Learning Standards.
- Phase III Full Implementation (September 2020 – ongoing): Full implementation of the NYS Next Generation Learning Standards.
- Spring 2021: New grade 3-8 tests measuring the NYS Next Generation Learning Standards. The timeline regarding the full-implementation/assessment alignment at the high-school level has not yet been determined and will be forthcoming; however, full-implementation/assessment alignment will not be before the school year 2020-2021.