The Goff Science Olympiad team placed 9th at the New York State Championships during a virtual competition held on Saturday, April 17. Goff students earned medals in seven of the 15 events, including a 3rd place medal in Meteorology by Emma Gentile and Shreeya Gillela and a 4th place medal in Heredity by Ms. Gentile and Shannon Breimer.
The competition included 53 teams from around the state.
“The coaches are very proud of the students for their amazing success this year,” said Goff Science Olympiad coach Donnamarie Vlieg. “The students pulled together to practice with their partners virtually. While it was difficult for the students to connect with each other and work together, they persevered and the results were excellent! We were so happy that the team achieved all the goals they set for themselves.”
- Meteorology – 3rd place – Emma Gentile and Shreeya Gillela
- Heredity – 4th place – Shannon Breimer and Emma Gentile
- Fossils – 7th place – Ria Hegde and Ariana Baptista
- Machines – 7th place – Ria Hegde and Ada Wu
- Ornithology – 8th place – Sophia Xin and Shreeya Pullela
- Circuit Lab – 9th place – Jasper Travis and Ada Wu
- Food Science – 10th place Emma Gentile and Alyssa Sentz
Goff Science Olympiad Team
Tri captains: Shannon Breimer, Ria Hegde, and Ada Wu as well as team members: Ariana Baptista, Emma Gentile, Shreeya Gillela, Thomas Marchiony, Shreeya Pullela, Alyssa Sentz, Umaiza Shah, Jasper Travis, Sophia Xiao, and Sophia Xin.
Congratulations to the Goff Science Olympiad team for placing 9th at the NYS Championships!
Goff students earned medals in seven of the 15 events. pic.twitter.com/KVY2Fvvq9P
— East Greenbush CSD (@EGreenbushCSD) April 23, 2021