New York State announced Wednesday evening that effective immediately, all children ages 12-15 will be eligible to receive the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine, meaning all state residents ages 12 and up can now be protected against COVID-19.
The state made the announcement following approval by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on Monday and recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the NYS Clinical Advisory Task Force.
Parents who would like their children to receive the COVID-19 vaccine should contact their pediatrician or visit the following website to view and schedule appointments: https://am-i-eligible.covid19vaccine.health.ny.gov. You can also call the New York State COVID-19 Vaccination Hotline at 1-833-NYS-4-VAX (1-833-697-4829).
It is important to note only the Pfizer vaccine is currently approved for children ages 12-18 and it requires two doses. Individuals who are 18+ can receive the Moderna or Johnson & Johnson vaccines as well.
- Children ages 12-15 are now eligible to receive the Pfizer vaccine
- The Pfizer vaccine is administered in two doses separated by three weeks
- Children must be accompanied by a parent/guardian and have a signed parent consent form to receive the vaccine
- Parents should bring proof of age and insurance cards to the vaccine appointment
- Appointments are not necessary at state-run vaccination sites; walk-ins are welcome
- If you do make an appointment, please bring your confirmation email to your appointment
Pfizer Vaccine Clinic – Friday, May 14, 3:00-6:00 p.m. at HVCC
The Rensselaer County Health Department will be hosting a Pfizer Vaccine Clinic for 12 to 15 year olds at the McDonough Sports Complex at Hudson Valley Community College on Friday, May 14 from 3:00-6:00 p.m. Children must be accompanied by a parent and bring proof of age. This is a walk-in clinic. No appointment is necessary.
- Key Things to Know about COVID-19 Vaccines (CDC)
- Myths and Facts about COVID-19 Vaccines (CDC)
- FAQ: About the COVID-19 Vaccine (American Academy of Pediatrics)
- Fact Sheet for Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine (U.S. Food & Drug Administration)
- Find COVID-19 Vaccines Near You