The following message was emailed to all district staff and parents on Thursday, March 10.
Dear EGCSD Community,
As you know, face masks are now optional inside schools and on school buses in accordance with NYS Department of Health regulations. The latest state guidance also includes other recommendations and requirements related to COVID-19.
We have discussed the state guidance with the county health department and the Questar III BOCES Health and Safety team. We also sought clarification from the NYS Education Department on a number of items.
The key points are listed below, followed by the full guidance document and FAQ provided by the state.
- Masks are optional inside schools and on school buses.
- Students/staff identified as contacts are not required to quarantine as long as they remain asymptomatic.
- Instead, it is recommended, regardless of vaccination status, that the individual wears a mask for 10 days from exposure and tests twice within the five-day period following exposure.
- Individuals who have had COVID-19 in the last 90 days are not recommended to test or wear a mask.
- Masks are required upon return from isolation during days 6 through 10 after COVID-19 infection.
- Schools must continue to conduct contact tracing for positive cases of COVID-19.
- Schools should use 6 feet of distance instead of 3 feet when contact tracing a positive case in school and on school buses based on the assumption that most people will no longer be wearing masks. Using 3 feet of distance to determine close contact was permissible when everyone wore a mask.
- East Greenbush CSD will notify parents/guardians if their children have been exposed to a positive case of COVID-19 at school, regardless of vaccination status, via email.
- East Greenbush CSD will continue its current testing program and state reporting of results.
- Point of Care Testing in schools for students/staff who become symptomatic while at school.
- Home Testing Protocol for asymptomatic individuals identified as contacts.
- Mandatory weekly testing for unvaccinated employees.
- Provide employees and families with free at-home COVID tests upon request.
- Schools must remain current on their reporting of all COVID-19 test results through the NYS COVID-19 Report Card.
New Masking Guidance Update (NYS Department of Health)
School Masking and Testing Guidance: FAQs for Schools (NYS Department of Health)