Columbia High School offers Driver Education in the spring and fall each year, which includes training in class and in cars. Registration is done on a first-come, first served basis. You must return your materials to the drop-off box in the Columbia Main Office.
Registration for Spring 2019 classes will begin on Thursday, January 3, 2019. Classes for the Spring 2019 classes will begin the week of February 4, 2019 and conclude during the week of June 10, 2019.
Please note for the Spring 2019 session – there is a strong possibility that the classroom portions of the class (especially the Monday class) will need to meet on the evenings of Thursday, June 6 and Thursday, June 13 from 6:00-7:30 p.m. in order to meet the classroom requirement of 24 hours of instruction. Please mark your calendars with these dates and times should you elect to sign up for this class.
The class fee is $450.00 ($490.00 for out of district students).
In order to obtain your MV-285 (commonly known as the “Blue Card”), you will need to fulfill all of the following requirements, which are based on contact hours:
- You must be at least 16 years old and hold a valid learners permit/license by the time your paperwork is turned in.
- Attend 24 hours of classroom time at Columbia.
- Attend 24 hours of driving time.
- Please note that you are required to attend all sessions of classroom time and all sessions of your car time. If you are absent/missing from any sessions, you will need to make up those sessions. Excessive absences will jeopardize your chances of passing the course and obtaining the MV-285 (Blue Card).
- Students are expected to follow the school rules (Code of Conduct) while in the classroom session and while in the car session. Failure to follow the rules may result in an immediate expulsion from the class. The safety of all students while on the road and in the classroom is paramount.
- If there is no school (either for a vacation, or due to a snow day), there will be no class/car. If there are no after school or evening activities due to weather, there will be no class/car.
- In order to be registered for Driver Education, you must submit a registration form and the class fee.